Friday, October 26, 2007

Vegas, Fires and the Assault on my Sanity

Well Dan got home and a week later we left for Las Vegas. On the way out there we stopped at an outlet mall that was about 65% closed down. It was like a ghost town, very strange, but Dan got to pick up the Vans he wanted so he was happy. We made it around 8pm and I went to the grocery store while Dan and the kids got settled in. Then we all went to the pool!

We spent the majority of the week in the pool or the lazy river. Ian even got bold and started jumping in the water and swimming with his floaties on his own. The girls spent a few evenings at the recreation room under the guise of playing ping pong and air hockey, but mostly they just watched tv.

Sunday we left Las Vegas under very windy conditions right after lunchtime. Traffic was horrible - see previous post. We came home to SMOKE! Lots and lots of smoke and ash. And panic. There were some fires going and it was dumping the smoke and ash all over the city. Monday morning I went in to work and saw on the news that my boss and his wife were in a mandatory evacuation area so I called them. They were packing and on their way out - to come to the office to stay until things calmed down.

I had to grab Ian because Dan was taking his motorcycle up to pick up his grandmother who could see the orange glow from her house. I had Ian at the office with me when Kiri called to be picked up from school. Of course the principal wouldnt let them walk home, someone had to pick them up. So Karilee went to get Kiri from school and then Dan got Ian on his way back to the house. They were camped out there until I got home, and by dinnertime we had another evacuee. We were up watching the fires until the wee hours of the morning and Tuesday we were home all day.

They fires are finally starting to get somewhat controlled, although the smoke and ash hasn't subsided as much as I'd like. I was working at home with the schools closed and whatnot but the children are driving me to the brink of insanity. I went to the office for awhile today but there is still so much to do. I guess I'll go home and get it done and maybe even get a nap in sometime.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home